Added by Gary Dunn on January 27, 2013
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has proclaimed a 30-day state of emergency and a night-time curfew in three urban areas along the Suez Canal which have seen fatal clashes in the past few days.
In a telecasted address late on Sunday, Morsi said the emergency step in Port Said, Ismailia and Suez would take effect on Monday from 9pm local time (1900 GMT) to 6am (0400 GMT), advising to take even more action to stem recent eruption of violence throughout much of the country.
He also called for discussion with top political leaders beginning on Monday to settle the issue.
Fatal clashes across the country amongst protesters and police have killed at the very least 48 people since Friday, when Egyptians commemorated the two-year anniversary of the revolution that toppled previous President Hosni Mubarak.
Thirty-two of the fatalities occurred in Port Said where clashes occurred on Saturday after 21 people were penalized to death by a Cairo court over a deadly soccer riot in 2012.
Sources close to the matter said people in the area were uncertain about just how Morsi will locate those responsible for the deadly violence over the last two days.
“I don’t see just how these decisions will impart any faith in individuals … The people feel that there was a tot state of collapse especially after riots today, particularly with tear gas being fired into the funerals.”
Military helicopters that had been hovering above earlier on in the day were also heard throughout Morsi’s speech.
It is thought curfews would mean that the armed forces can now apprehend people.
Thousands attend the funerals of more than 30 people killed one day earlier