Added by Nigel Shelbourne on September 29, 2010
French police closed the iconic Eiffel Tower for the second time in less than a month.
The Parisian landmark was re-opened to visitors on Tuesday night.
The threat was made from a telephone booth located near the tower explained French authorities, but no other details were made available.
The tower was closed for around two-and-a-half hours, witnesses said.
Onlookers were told to move 150 metres away from the tower by officers who said that an unspecified “problem” had been the cause of the evacuation.
France has had many false alarms in recent days, consequently, it has been placed on ‘high alert” in regards to possible terrorist attacks.
On September 14th, 2010, The Eiffel Tower was the subject of another bomb threat, this was announced as a “bogus” threat after a police investigation.
Around 2,000 people were evacuated from nearby businesses and residential dwellings, as well as a nearby metro railway station
Built in 1889,the tallest building in Paris is also one of the most recognizable structures in the world.