Added by Nigel Shelbourne on July 19, 2011
July 19, 2011
The first News of the Word journalist to link the now closed 168-year-old newspaper’s former editor to the phone-hacking scandal in the U.K. was found dead on Monday in a London suburb home.
Police were called to a home in Watford at about 10:40am local time amid concerns over the welfare of Sean Hoare who lived at the address. When the police and ambulance crew arrived they found the body of Sean Hoare who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Hoare, in his mid-40s at the time of his unexplained death, first made claims last year about phone-hacking at the News of the World. He said that he was asked by his editor at the time, Andy Coulson, to tap into phones despite Coulson’s denials. Hoare said Coulson “actively encouraged me to do it”, in reference to playing recordings of hacked messages. Hoare also explained how reporters at News of the World were about to use police technology to locate people based on their mobile phone’s signals in exchange for alleged payments to officers.